With Winter fast approaching, many people are thinking about ways to save a few bucks while keeping their house warm. Here are some low-tech ways to keep a cozy home through the Winter season.1. Take Advantage of the Sun- Draw the blinds back and open the shades on the south side of your house to let the natural – and free- heat from the sun in. Closing your curtains as soon as dusk falls will maximize your home’s potential to retain that heat. Pro Tip: Invest in thick curtains. They will help in keeping heat inside and the cold outside!
2. Add Insulation- It may seem expensive, but three rolls of 8-inch-deep insulation should be enough to give most lofts an important layer of protection. It will help to prevent the exchange of outdoor and indoor air. Meaning, when you warm your house, the insulation will help keep it that way.
3. Reverse your Ceiling Fans- Most ceiling fans have a setting to reverse the movement. Rather than pulling the cold air up (clockwise) as you would in the summer, have it pushing the hot air down (counter-clockwise). Keep the fan at a slow speed; otherwise, it may cool the air.
4. Install a Programmable Thermostat- It is a myth that keeping the heat on all day is better. These thermostats, like The Nest, allow you to predetermine your heater settings so that the heater runs at optimal times. Some advanced thermostats now have an app on your phone so that you can turn the heat up before leaving the office.
5. Add layers to your floors- Rugs and carpets were created for more than color and style. They were invented to keep your floors cozy! They’ll keep air from seeping up into the room, and your toes will definitely thank you!
6. Shut Unused Rooms- Closing off vents for unoccupied rooms will push the warm air into the rest of the house while keeping that room cool. Keeping those doors closed will prevent cold air from escaping.